Apr 9, 2009

Thinking

Thinking. I don't know of a better way to sum up the way I feel right now. I watched this show about 1968 and it's events. The program started out explained about the elections in that year and the Vietnam War(Some people call it a conflict,but I don't think that is the right word.) . The show then showed the events of the Chicago riots. They showed the protesetors raising the VietCong flag in the park. That immeadeatly made me angry. How could they desert their country like that! Raising a Communist flag, an enemy flag, the flag of the country that America was fighting against. I felt as though... How I felt was that I wanted to make them pay for their rebellion. But then I saw the the police come and yank a man forcefully off a statue in the park where the protestors were gathered. Then in the next few minutes I watched the police picking up men and women and tossing them into police vans. Jeeps with barbed wire pushing people backwards, tear gas being thrown into the crowds, blood on peoples faces. I will never forget it.

Then, I went on the internet and for some reason thought I would look at information on the Chicago riots. I found a video on it. I watched in BW movie the riots all over again. In the middle of the movie. A voice over of one of Richard Nixon's speeches came on. And when he got to the end he said, "...This is America" On the video as the film still rolled those words repeated over and over. "This is America. This is America. This is America. This is America...." I turned off the sound. I couldn't take it any more. Those words over and over again and the footage. When it finished I just sat in scilence. I wasn't for raising an enemy flag and defying my own country. But the way the police took people into custody wasn't maybe right either. I'm not sure what to think. It only happened about 40 years ago,but it happened when my grandparents and other older people were young men/women and or teens.

So I'm thinking. About what to think about this situation that happened awhile ago. I'm not sure what to think. I guess I'll have to think some more.

2 comments:

God's Student said...

How about applying that to our spiritual life? How many times do we raise the flag of the enemy, the devil, when we don't listen to our parents? We riot against our brothers and sisters; disobey our parents. True this happened 40 years ago...but it could be occurring in our lives right now! Raise the cross of Jesus, stand up and be counted with Christ. And lay the rebellious spirit at the feet of Jesus and let Him take it from you.

Scott Paris said...

Preach it brother! So true!