Jul 25, 2010

Sr. High, Jr. High 1 and 2

Hey everybody! So these last 3 weeks have been a wild ride. Here are the highlights...
  • Sr. High I could immediately tell that it was going to be interesting. My camper's names(or nicknames) were as follows: Peanuts, Trail Mix(or Tray for short), Bubbles, KJ, Marshmallow. They were all super rowdy and all came from pretty rough families. (Pretty much the opposite of me.) But there were two things that I will remember from that week for the rest of my life.
  • Jordan's Chip:Jordan Wood was staying in our cabin that week. And Tuesday night he and KJ were talking, when Jordan pulled out a chip(a Dorito to be exact). He set it on the picnic table and smashed it. And slowly Jordan took away a piece of the broken chip naming it,("This is your Dad", "These are your friends", etc.), until finally there was only one piece of chip left. "This is God", said Jordan, "Even when it seems like you've got nothing and God has left you, He's right there." After that KJ and Jordan prayed beneath the cross on Chapel Hill. A Dorito changed KJ's life. He was so excited about it, that he did Wednesday night devos and shared the same example with the rest of the cabin. I shared about how God quote on quote "wrecked my life" by moving me away from my friends, my town, my church and sending to a town that was messed up. I shared how I had pretty much been a brat about it and how God changed my heart and gave those material things back to me. It felt really great.
  • Marshmallow: Marshmallow and I got along great that week. The only thing we didn't agree on was the Bible. Marshmallow though that God didn't exist and thought that God, if he did exist couldn't save him from his past of drugs and Satanism. I talked with him for several hours and his main question was this: Why would God create people if he knew they were going to screw up? We basically used this illustration for most of our conversation: God is the Father who bought a batch of puppies. These puppies, he knew beforehand, were going to wreck his house and bite and be a pain in the neck. But he loved the puppies so much that when the big, bad, bus driver Satan, tried to get rid of the puppies, God's son Jesus sacrificed himself to save the puppies. It was a conversation that I will never forget.
  • The Weekend: That weekend I spent at the McGinnis' house and hung out with Jordan and got to see people(Tyler Wolcott, Rogows, Mr. Johnson, Jenny Case,Conners) that I haven't seen/hung out with in a while.
  • Jr. High week 1: That week I had a group of five guys(no burgers or fries): Chris(who does stand up comedy), Brad(who tried to convince everyone that his name was Joe), Tom (from Depue, NY), Nick(Camper of the week from Sr. High), and Austin(who was pretty normal). I think that God gave me well-behaved campers that week so I could listen to the messages. The speaker was Uncle Buddy Robinson from AIG he talked about the five questions. Here they are... #1:What do you mean by what you're saying?(What do you mean?); #2:How do you know that what you're saying is true?(How do you know?); #3: What difference does what you're saying make in your life?(So what?); #4: What would you accept as evidence?
  • Stats: Uncle Buddy gave a statistic that really hit home with me and a lot of the kids. School time:900 hours; TV time(not including video games, movies, etc.) Church time:100-200 hours
  • Jr. High 2: I got to be in a cabin with five other guys with names as follows: Daniel, Andrew, Alex, Alan and Nathan. Pretty much everyone was annoyed with Alan and Alan didn't care. This last week I learned a lot of patience.
  • Water balloons: In the past 3 weeks I've filled over 1200 water balloons. So I decided that I should make a Biblical metaphor involving water balloons. Pretty much this is what I got: Water balloons are like people. They reject God, pop under worldly pressure, or live for him and retain the water. Pretty cool!
  • Random Stuff: Michael and Tony(2 campers from Sr. High week) came three weeks in a row. I got to hang out with Katy Depue pretty much all of Jr. High 1. My team won Jr. High 2 and got to stay up til like midnight.
  • Team names and cheers: Sr. High: My team was Team Dihydrogen Monoxide. Cheer was as follows: Dihydrogen monoxide: we're really only water/ We hope that when we take you down it won't be such a slaugter/ When things heat up we'll just go with the flow/ And by the end of the week we'll be #1, you know. (YO! For show!(Tray does worm.) Cheers and applause.) Jr. High 1: My team that week was The Flaming Unicorns of Fury: (Spidey reads Job 39:9-12) Tim Woudenberg:(Spoken/shouted) Its a bird! No! It's a plane! No! Its the flaming unicorns of fury!(Cheering) Robbie Lindmark:(Spoken)Alright everybody! Please mount your unicorns! We got a new song for the generations! And it goes like this...(Singing begins)Trot to the left! Trot to the right! Trot to the left! Trot to the right! Everybody clippyclop! Clippycloppy!(4x) Cross horns!(2x) One clop this time(2x) Two clops this time(2x) Everybody clippyclop! Clippycloppy(4x) (Cheering. Everyone falls down.) Jr. High 2: (Veggietales theme)If you like to swim with the bubbles/ If you don't like crocodiles/ If you like to run into trouble/ Up and down the English Channel... Have we got a team for you... 1,2,3,4! Jellyfish! Jellyfish! etc.

And that was what was going on with me for the last 3 weeks! Hopefully it won't take as long for me to blog next time. For now TTFN!

1 comment:

HIS daughter said...

WOW Scott! I was so blessed by this post! :) I am praying for you in the upcoming weeks at camp! It is so exciting to see what God will do next :)